Sunday, February 28, 2021

Sometimes you just need..... Family

 

Sometimes you just need- Aunt Suzie 😊

The past year has been long- for everyone. The lack of being in school, after school clubs, dances, sports and plain old get togethers with family and friends, has been missing.  You might not realize how much you miss it- until you have a glimpse again.

This weekend we were so lucky to have a visit by my sister- Aunt Suzie.  She brought crafts- a rock painting kit and jewelry making.   All the kids- (Mom and Dad included) sat together to paint rocks, add stickers and googly eyes. Robbie was very proud of his emoji rock- as he should have been.

On Saturday afternoon, we had decided to run a few errands- buy makeup at Ulta for Lexi, maybe shop, and maybe lunch. Usually when I ask Robbie if he wants to join us- he politely declines. “ I don’t want to go!! I want to stay in my room. I want to watch movies!”  This Saturday- he declined at first but as I was saying goodbye, he changed his mind.  “ I want to come. You can’t leave me.”  He wanted to be included. He saw his siblings, myself and Aunt Suzie getting ready to go somewhere- together. I was thrilled he wanted to come.

Our first stop was Ulta- the makeup store. Robbie stayed in the car with his phone- but I made Timmy come with us.  “This is a girls store.” Timmy said as we entered the pink, sparkly, perfume smelling store. I promised we would go to a more – Timmy, Robbie friendly store next.   Next stop- 5 Below. As we walked to the entrance Robbie said an enthusiastic   “Yes!! Can I buy toys?”   He picked out a candy and a toy- as did his brother and we were off to our next stop.  Smiles all around.

Lunch!  Lexi wanted to try something new, so we ended up at Bertucci’s.  A perfect balance of new- as we had never been as a family- and safe- pizza.  We were the only customers there and lunch was great.  Peperoni pizza is Robbie’s favorite food – and how can anyone not be happy – when eating pizza!?

At home Saturday evening we sat at the kitchen table and played Don’t Make Me Laugh- a game Aunt Suzie brought that entails teamwork and charades. Robbie happily joined us. We picked cards with scenarios to act out- and threw in our own ideas and rules. Aliens in the Attic- Robbie’s favorite movie was of course in the mix. It was a hysterical evening filled with laughter from all.  After Robbie went to is room and the rest of us decided on something together downstairs.  We ended up watching I am number 4- a pg-13 movie which includes Aliens- which could have been the draw.  Robbie came down and watched with us.  He sat in the middle and was completely engaged until the very end.

Why is all this engagement meaningful? Robbie spends much of his time in his room. When he is in common areas- its usually to eat or tell me that he needs something. If he joins us for movie nights, he ends up leaving to the sanctuary of his bedroom.  Having him with us and being so engaged was such a treat. It reminded me that even though we don’t see my family that often (due to distance and more recently covid)- It’s so important for all of us.  It is so nice to see that extended support system for Robbie- family who loves him- just as he is. And as a bonus- we saw Aunt Suzie acting like a dog, Timmy was able to put makeup all over me, Lexi guessed almost every card correctly, Robbie was able to act out his favorite movie, and Dad watched as we all jumped around with “Ants in our pants.”  A perfect weekend.  I needed it as much as Robbie did. We love you Aunt Suzie! We can’t wait to see you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment