Monday, January 6, 2014

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus

Christmas has always been a magical time for me. My parents (especially my Dad) still get excited over the holiday. We had many special traditions and  were very lucky that  Santa always came to visit.(I think he came until I was 29.) As an adult I still believe in the magic of Christmas. Rob and I were engaged on Christmas eve, many years ago. It is a time where most people reach out to catch up , at least with a picture or short note. A time to relive your childhood and believe in something pure. A time to give.
A week or so before Christmas I was in a hair salon and over heard a conversation between a few women. They were discussing how Santa only leaves 1 gift in their respective houses and they "the parents" leave many more. The reason being "Why should Santa get the credit? I am the one buying the gifts."  I understand many homes have various traditions. In many homes Santa brings the one big gift that had been requested. But as the season has come and gone I have heard many similar comments regarding getting the credit. Really?? I feel like shouting. My issue is feeling as if you have to get credit for the gifts. Could our society really have come to that conclusion. Give only for the credit?  Charity work is only worth it if you get something in return?  And what about the magic of Christmas for your children?
There is no monetary value for the look on Robbie and Lexi's face when they look down from the top of the stairs and see  presents for them under the tree. And nothing will beat my husband, who has in the past been very stressed out this time of year due to his grueling basketball schedule, getting so excited to decorate the tree with candy canes ( our newest tradition) and put the gifts under the tree. The reward- seeing the excitement on our childrens' faces, knowing Santa had come.
How does this tie in with Autism?  I saw a facebook posting today from Autism awareness. It said "People with Autism do not lie, do not cheat, do not play mind games." A parent of a student my husband taught recently said "Many with Autism are just pure, unspoiled." This of course can be tough as our children on spectrum grow into teenagers and adults, but as children they will believe longer.  And so again- yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus- at least in the Hummel house for many more years to come, (I hope)

No comments:

Post a Comment