Monday, October 26, 2015

Great start to the week!!

" I love school." Says Robbie as we are on the swing set at 7:30am this morning. He has already had a bath, eaten breakfast and brushed his teeth. There has not been any whining,crying or aggressive outbursts. It was a great start to the week and lets face it, Monday's pretty much suck.
The weekend was busy with Halloween related activities and I really didn't think we'd get through it, but we did. The annual Halloween party at a friends went as well as could be expected. Rob took Robbie about 30 minutes before the party started, a coping ritual done every year. This allows Robbie to settle in before chaos begins. I arrive with Lexi and Timmy a few minutes  after the official start time to find Robbie quietly playing with some toys in the family room. Robbie spent most of the time stimming outside, where we were, and eating sugary cookies. He did not want to go on the gigantic slide that was rented from bounce U. I was a bit surprised at first because Robbie loves Pump it up/ bounce U but then remembered he has not gotten in any other bounce houses or slides outside of the facility itself in a few years. This makes sense to me as Robbie tends to compartmentalize many things. For example I have never heard my son read yet he reads in school. That is the explanation. Reading is done in school, not at home. In the same token, sliding on a large inflatable slide is done at bounce u or pump it up, not at a house party.
Robbie did not want to wear a costume, which has been pretty typical for him at Halloween. He'll pick one out and wear it before or after Halloween but most years not during the actual day or anything associated with it. I took Robbie home about 40 minutes before the end of the party as everyone makes there way to the parade in Medford. We have never even attempted the parade. Apparently it is amazing, but all we think about is the crowd and the noise and of course how that would affect Robbie. So we skip it.
Sunday we attended a safe trick or treat at my husbands school. We have gone for the last 3 years as Rob has worked a station with his basketball team to hand out candy. Robbie wavered between wanting to wear his costume and wanting to stay in his pajamas. He also yelled " I don't want candy" as I explained he would be able to get lots of candy. This is a statement I ignored. Robbie LOVES candy. He decided he did want to come. He did want to wear his costume. He did in fact want candy. I wrestled all 3 into the car as Timmy began to state he did not want candy.  Again, a statement I ignored as he too, loves candy. We pulled into the parking lot and Robbie started screaming that he did not want to go in. Again, this wavering back and forth happens often. Lexi and I both explained that we'd go in, see Daddy and come home. That finally seemed to work and I held him close to my side as we walked toward the door. We had to stop twice to breathe and give a deep hug. The next 2 hours were spent collecting candy, handing out candy and for Robbie, eating candy. Robbie ate an unbelievable amount of candy. That evening thing seemed very "normal" for our family. We ate dinner. The kids worked on a craft project. They watched a movie. Robbie ran back and forth a million times saying "eeeeeeeee." Robbie jumped up and down, flapped his hands and was loudly stimming. While I can't say the loud stimming noise was not a bit distracting, annoying even. I can say the lack of anger and aggression was awesome. Fingers crossed for a good week for all!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment