Friday, December 19, 2014

Why I love christmas...........one of the many reasons

"I love snow! I love lights! I love December!" yells Robbie as we leave a basketball game, that Dad was coaching, tonight. All I can see is the pure joy on his face. Of course he did a little spin as he said it and a flap or two, but all I could see was an eight year boy who is happy. He loves this time of year- as most children do. For him - it is magical. This morning he was literally kneeling and praying to a picture of Santa Claus asking the he come down the chimney this year. When I mentioned this to Gama- she joked that we need to start going to church. (Church is a whole different subject to be discussed at a later time.) I mentioned it to a doctor I call on at a lunch appointment today. He seemed a bit alarmed. He does not know Robbie or the innocence of autism. The true beauty of it is- he did not ask for presents. He just wanted to see Santa. He did not yell "I love all the gifts I get in December." This week he came home with gifts for the family that he had purchased from the dollar store on an annual class field trip. He was so excited when he came home. He wanted to show me right away. He began to open one of the gifts and I explained he had to wait until Christmas because those were gifts for the family. He got upset and ran to his room. I looked in his binder where every day we get a note about his day. His teacher said he had done such great job picking out gifts for his family. he wrapped each one perfectly. ( He wraps my gifts too- a benefit of  the obsessive compulsive behaviors that sometimes accompanies autism.)  I looked the receipt that came with my change. Baby bottle,  Elsa- from Frozen-  ornament, picture frame, etc, Each gift carefully thought out. I felt guilty. He wanted to share the gifts he had purchased.
Tonight I turned on the television when we arrived home. Polar express is on. He has loved this movie for years. As I  write this post he is - as Robbie does- talking to the tv- happy to see Santa.  "Look Santa- I love Christmas!" He simply loves the spirit of the season. That is worth praying for :)

No comments:

Post a Comment