Friday, December 11, 2009

Amazing ABA therapy

Many have heard of the wonders ABA therapy does for Autistic children. Applied Behavior Analysis teaches social, motor and verbal behaviors as well as reasoning skills. It reinforces what we've been told by the experts- Autistic children don't "pick up" knowledge and social behaviors the way other children do. I have had my first ABA training session and Robbie and I sat down yesterday to "do some work". The first 20 minutes was very difficult- getting and keeping him on task. The ABA therapist at his school suggested the game perfection. I knew this would be a piece of cake for Robbie- as far as putting the pieces in the correct spot. He's always been really good with that. The surprising part was he loved waiting for the timer to pop the pieces out. It's loud and a little scary (for me at least). Robbie loved it. The reward for finishing the game was hearing the pop. Who knew. I'm interested in talking to the ABA therapist next week to get a little more knowledge on why this game is so good.- will keep everyone updated.
Another surprise was on the computer. Robbie loves the nickelodeon website. They have great matching games. We played a new game yesterday. Dora's Christmas adventure. The first round it asks to pick out the square from a variety of shapes. Next - pick the yellow oval, next pick the red circle with stripes. Robbie got 80% correct. We played 4 times. I was amazed. The struggle for him was pointing to the item on the screen. He put his nose to it- his mouth, his tongue. He looks at it - but getting him to point is difficult. We'll work on it- I'm was just really happy to see he knows the answers. Unlocking his ability to communicate is the key.

1 comment:

  1. I found out about your blog from the Courier-Post newspaper. I am a speech therapist and children's writer and I have met many children with Autism. I applaud your courage in writing about the challenges and triumphs of raising a child with Autism. Your photos are wonderful and ABA is a very useful tool in the road to therapy. We also use The Picture Exchange Program (PECS) by Boardmaker. You can check that out. If you'd like a simple, multi-sensory craft for christmas, see my blog: goldfromthedust. May you and Robbie have a memorable Christmas (keeping in mind that what is meaningful and memorable for him may be different for you. You are correct...it is a journey).Many blessings.
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete