Monday, December 11, 2023

I'm on the good list- Santa says!

 My kids are 17, 15 and 10.  I still have 1 and a 1/2 believers.......  Of course the biggest believer is Robbie. He is 17 and has autism. Santa is real, because it wouldn't make sense for him not to be. He looks for our Elf on the Shelf- or Elves- as we have 3-  every morning - to ensure they went back to report to Santa the night before.  He can't be on the naughty list. There are presents that need to be under the tree.  Each day, during the month of December, Robbie will say- " I'm a good boy- I'm not on the naughty list."  He will actually catch himself, when behaviors escalate, calm himself down- to ensure he's not on the naughty list.  Last week his therapist asked how things have been going. I paused and thought about it, which brought me the material for this blog.  Why have his aggressive / violent behaviors diminished this month?  The answer is so apparent- SANTA!!   " SANTAA! Oh my god!  Santa, here?!? I KNOW HIM!!"

If you've seen the movie ELF - with Will Ferrell - you will understand the comparison I'm about to make. Buddy the elf is a large man who is so innocent in regards to the ways of the world. He loves Santa Claus and all things Christmas. In the most simple form, he is looking for his needs to be met, and will not stop until they are. That is Robbie.  6 foot 1 and 240 +pounds - he is a big kid. He just wants his presents, to watch movies and eat popcorn.  Robbie- like Buddy- loves hugs and requests them often.  I can picture Robbie asking a girl he likes " So... do you want to eat food?'  Pure and simple- with nothing else implied - except eating food- preferable pepperoni pizza.  I can imagine having to tell Robbie " You see gum on the street- leave it there. It's not free candy." Simple but true statement from Santa to Buddy before he goes off into the world.  Robbie will apologize for his behavior after there is an escalation. He's sorry for yelling, saying the F word, pushing or hitting.  This is similar to Buddy saying " I'm sorry I ruined your lives and crammed 11 cookies into the VCR." 

My question- how can I take this simple joy and transfer it to the rest of the year?  Or as Buddy says " treat everyday like Christmas."  If anyone knows- please feel free to pass it on :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment