Saturday, April 16, 2016

Family

The past few weeks have been interesting..... We are the midst of potty training a very ,very- did I say VERY, headstrong toddler. Lexi was recently diagnosed with ADHD and has begun a course of Adderall to help keep her focused while she is at school. She was also diagnosed with a learning disability- Dyslexia. We have special tutoring set up for the summer to attack that. Yet, as a family- we are in a really nice place. Robbie has been on a steady course of Abilify and hydroxyzine. The Abilify has been life changing. While he has gained some weight, his mood, behavior, aggression has improved tremendously. He is happy and we are able to do things as a family. The entire family- not just some of us. Don't get me wrong- there are still challenges- but lately they are with the toddler. It has really made me reflect on what part of Autism has been the most challenging for me personally. Not being able to do the "normal" family activities that others enjoy. That is what I've struggled the most with. My husband has had an unbelievable basketball season. The awards are too long to list and I know I will miss some- a state championship, coach of the year, most wins ever in the district, proclamation from the township...... yet we missed most of the season. As my husband and those close to me know- I am not a huge fan of basketball- yes I said it! But I was so sad to miss so many of the games to support him. The kids actually love the game. This winter was just too hard for for Robbie. Since the abilify we have gone to games. Last week I took all 3 kids to the awards dinner for the team. We lasted 2 hours until Timmy had reached exhaustion, but Robbie was great. Today we are all going to a birthday party for a good family friend/neighbor. Tomorrow- (gasp)we are attempting a Phillies game. I have no idea how it will go, but the fact that we are at a point in our lives where we can attempt this excursion is awesome. Doing something as a family. That's all I want and I know being with his family is what makes Robbie happy as well.

2 comments:

  1. Love conquers all! You are a true Unsung Hero in my eyes! Thank you so much for sharing Coach with his basketball family! This season was amazing! Thank you and God bless you and your family. I love your blog

    ReplyDelete