Thursday, September 25, 2014

Want a different response? Ask a different question!

As a psychology major I know the phrase "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Everyday I ask Robbie " How was your day?"  Every day I get the same response. " My day was good." Additional questions vary, What was your favorite part of the day? What was your least favorite part of the day? Last night was a quiet night at the dinner table. Lexi had a "make-up" soccer game- and explaining to her that there would be no eye shadow or lipstick involved was quite hysterical. Dad took Lexi to her game- something he had been looking forward to. The boys and I were on our own at home. After getting the boys a large helping of macaroni and cheese I came to sit as well. "Robbie, How was your day?" It comes immediately from my mouth, even though I know I will get the same response. " My day was good." What did you do today? was my next question. There was a pause and a response. "I showed Miss Kim my pirate costume. She wanted to see. Was in the backpack." He was wearing the pirate costume at this point- which he had gotten the night before and was moderately obsessed with.  I felt tears well up in my eyes. This was a milestone. Robbie has never answered that type of a question. I'm not sure he really has ever answered a direct question with more than a one word answer. I said "Robbie, I'm going to cry." He asked if I was sad. I told him how happy I was to hear him talk. I loved his words and I was so incredibly proud of him. He smiled, jumped, flapped and said "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee." That's my boy!!

Its hard to explain how important this is. It's the type of interactions most of us take for granted because it comes easily. Of course everyone knows that dialogue between people, communication, is important. For Robbie, this opens up a entire world. I know I will not get a response every time I ask, but again- all I could think of was the Dr. Seuss book I have read countless times to all 3 of my munchkins.
Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss. Congratulations! Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places! You're off and away! You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. 

1 comment: