Sunday, April 14, 2013

"Outgrowing Autism"

I had an OB/GYN appointment few weeks ago to find out the sex of our soon to be newest addition. After learning we'll be welcoming another boy I felt a bit overwhelmed with emotion. "what if?" Will he be a healthy neuro typical child or fall somewhere on the autism spectrum? Of course I have every test they can do to look for downs syndrome, spinabifida, genetic issues- etc. ( Rob, myself and Robbie had been tested for fragile x syndrome and few other possible genetic abnormalities - all came back normal.) The biggest concern- AUTISM- is the only thing there is no test for. I met with a Nurse practioner that I had not met during my prior pregnancies. She asked how I was feeling/doing- as they do at every visit. I expressed both excitment and fear over having another boy. She asked about Robbie- and how he doing. I explained his accomplishments and limitations, mentioning that as he gets older and more mature things do change and become easier- or more manageable. Her response was " Well, the data shows that children outgrow Autism." After taking a deep breathe, I tried as calmly as I could to respond. Some children, who are diagnosed very early on and begin therapy, or have autism like symptoms which are really food allergies, can do very well and seem to "grow out of autism." That is not the normal. That is not my son. The danger of her blanket statement is the potential to give parents wrong information. If a new parent thinks their child will simply "outgrow Autism" than why treat it at all? For a medical professional to be so uneducated about such a prevelant issue is scary and unacceptable! Another conversation my sister and I had also reminded me of the education that is needed. A friend of hers had asked why we spend so much money and time on therapy for Robbie- since he will never be "cured." Wow- was all I could say. But it made me think. The person asking was not cruel, simply uneducated. Our goal is help Robbie reach his potential- as all parents do. We simply have a different path than most. He needs extra help to ensure he can communicate effectively and regulate his sensory system on his own. We're starting with new therapists- as we do about every 2 years- to ensure Robbie's needs are being met. I am working on a facebook page to put all the information I can in one spot. I am writing a letter to this medical professional and will continue to talk and blog to anyone who will listen about Autism. One day the cause of Autism will be determined- and better treatments will be available- until then we keep on moving forward!!

No comments:

Post a Comment