Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Walk Now for Autism Speaks

A few weeks ago we participated in a walk for Autism Speaks in Mount Laurel, NJ. We weren't sure what to expect but figured we'd give it a try. Rob coordinated fund raising through his high school's STARR club- students together for Autism Research. We had family members and friends come to support the event. The event was great. Although most of the kids were either much younger or much older than Robbie. I didn't see many his age- if so they were severe. Here's why. The day was HOT, crowded and very overwhelming. They had 2 moon bounces- which Robbie loves but would not get off so others could have a turn. There were games, bubbles, arts and crafts, etc., etc., etc. Lexi had a blast drawing with side walk chalk and blowing bubbles with Aunt Suzie until she saw Robbie melting down and then felt she should melt down too. " I do what my brother does." Rob did get Robbie to calm down while he was touring a real fire engine- what kid wouldn't love that! During the actual walk itself I took the kids back to the minivan for water and a movie to calm and cool Robbie down. In retrospect- it was too busy for him- but maybe next year will be better!!

1 comment:

  1. Simmone....I know my son's ADHD is no comparison to Robbie's Autism, but in a way, we experienced a lot of the same behaviors when Nick was little. I can so relate to the meltdowns that come from being over stimulated. We finally found out when he was older that part of the problem was his hearing. He had Bells Palsy when he was born, and it resulted in permanent nerve damage to his ear with hyper hearing. The loud, noisy environments were actually painful for him, and he would react by being super hyper and aggressive. Since my husband went to work everyday and I was home with the kids, we had a deal where he would be the one to either stay home with Nick, or leave when he got too hyper when we were out. My "prize" was that I got to eat my dinner hot, or visit with friends and family. Only problem was that Nick would scream because he wanted me to take him out! Sigh.....It's not easy, is it?

    ReplyDelete