Monday, January 25, 2010

High Anxiety

I had an interesting conversation last night with the spouse of a friend who is in charge of the Autism programs in the Cambridge MA school system. The topic of anxiety came up. I've read and know from experience that autistic children suffer from high levels of anxiety. I had never really though to break it down into the simplest components. Why is Robbie freaking out when I turn off the Backyardigan's? Is it because he is not getting what he wants?- Sure- that is partly true, but it never occurred to me is he may feel like he will never be able to watch that TV show again. He may think he will never go to the park again or the playground again. If he is enjoying something, when we transition, there is real fear and anxiety.
I explained how Robbie is doing. The woman I was speaking with was very excited to hear he is verbal." That is a great sign "- she told me. "The fact that he can talk and is learning new words is great. He may end up with an Aspergers diagnosis." That thought had never crossed my mind. That is also not what I wanted to hear. He may end up with no diagnosis- I almost shouted. I know she was just trying to be helpful but for parents of Autistic children- the dream of Robbie being considered "normal" having friends, going to college, working and living independently, getting married and having his own family are the goals we strive for. Unrealistic? God I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment