Sunday, July 7, 2013

The best days of summer

We've had a pretty good summer so far. Great vacation with family in Massachusetts, went to see fireworks for the first time in year and caught fireflies with Dad and watched them light up in a jar. Lots of great summer memories for us and the kids. One thing we've noticed is the more swimming Robbie gets, the better off he seems to be. Better mood, less stimming behaviors, better sleep. That being said, there have been days where we go to the lake and then to a friends pool. The intention being- the more time in the water, the happier everyone is. Tomorrow extended school begins for Robbie and we know it will not be an easy morning. He will not want to get dressed (that early in the morning.) He will not want to wear sneakers- flip flops are the shoe of choice at the moment (mine too.) He will probably not want to take the bus. The benefit is- we know what we're in for and can begin to talk about it with him. The drawback- it's still really hard. I had a strange encounter with a man at Shop Rite this afternoon. I was loading my car with groceries as he was collecting carts to bring back inside the store. He began to speak to me about the heat, asking if I thought today was better than yesterday. I said I wasn't sure- it's still really hot. He spoke about the fact that he was probably getting used to it and that the night before he had woken up three times to take a cold shower because it was so bad. Then he paused for a moment- I assumed because of the heat, and asked if I had a child with Autism. ( Looking at the magnets on my car- it's a safe bet.) I replied "yes, my 7 year old son." He told me he had struggled with autism as a child. He had a hard time reading. He told me was ostracized as a child. School was very difficult for him. He was so articulate and looked me straight in the eye. There was no awkwardness or stimming behavior at all. Not sure how to respond I said "you seem to be doing well now." He told me his parents had spent a lot of money on the best educational programs and mentioned a reading program at university of Pennsylvania. He said they all worked very hard, but it was hard. Autism is hard. He has spent most of his life alone. I wished him well, again not knowing what to say. Now I can not get this man out of my mind. He is probably in his early 60's. He had many layers of clothes, which seemed odd with the heat. The clothes were not particularly clean, if you looked closely. He works at Shop Rite moving carts. He probably does not have air conditioning. He is alone. The most startling feature were his eyes. Very clear beautiful blue. The crystal blue Robbie's eyes are when he's on, or present. This could be my son one day. Where is she going with this post? I am suffering from pregnancy brain- as I like to call it. But also I have been talking to my husband about creating memories for our children- especially summer ones. Aren't summer memories everyone's favorite. I can't predict where Robbie will end up. I can and sometimes do make myself miserable thinking about the possibilities. What I can do is be present for him now. Take him for one more swim. Help him cope with the stress of change. Give him lots of hugs. This is the best way to prepare him for a future. I also will hope and pray that he does not spend most of his life alone. That he finds a friend or companion to share his life with. I wish I had said or done something else today to help this grown man with Autism........

No comments:

Post a Comment